This is not my picture, for the link please click: poetry

Join me in my journey with poetry...

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Discrimination

Discrimination

Walk through the hall
With every eye on me
Surrounded by four walls
As far as I can see

Snickers, sneers and laughter
Discrimination too
Taunted from on after
Because I'm not like you

I'm different so you shun me
Leave me standing in the rain
You hurt me though you see
That I am in pain

I hate discrimination
Among the world I see
If we are all one nation
Why discriminate against me

By Janet S. Watford

This poem focuses on such an intense topic. This poem is based on the subject of discrimination through the first person view. This poem's is based on the "A,B,A,B" structure. The last word from every other line rhymes with the last word from the other line. So, the last word of the first and third lines would rhyme, while the last word of the second and fourth line rhyme with one another as well. Most poems are based on this structure. 

There are four stanzas that brings the attention of the reader to a specific direction. In my opinion, I believe that the first stanza is quite a grabber. It describes what can be seen through the eyes of "discrimination". In the eyes of discrimination, or in the eyes of a person being discriminated many eyes seem to be ablaze towards the person being discriminated. This brings the reader to attention because it causes curiosity on why exactly this is occurring. The second stanza deals with the sense of hearing instead of sight. Two other synonyms are presented for the word laughter in the first line of the second stanza creating the perception that the idea of laughter was very essential into how discrimination is like. By having three words presented to express one thing, it brings the idea that the laughter was not just any normal laughter that is heard in our daily lives, but is a different laughter. 


The last line of the second stanza "because I am not like you" is such a turning point from describing what is seen and heard through the use of senses, to the transition and transformation of starting to describe the reason for discrimination as well as the feelings one may be able to feel because of discrimination. From that line on, the whole poem becomes so much more intense. The words used are extremely dramatic and really create the feeling of tension and pain that discrimination brings into one's life. The words such as different, shun, leave, hurt, pain, hate, one nation, and even just the word discriminate itself creates such an uncomfortable and tense mood. Also "leave me standing in the rain" creates a feeling of fear and sadness that greatly represents and symbolizes exactly what can be felt because of discrimination even without the need to say the exact words of how discrimination feels like. The poet uses descriptions in her poem to bring forth how discrimination feels, rather than stating the actual feeling and listing the feelings directly in her poem.


This poem can be found HERE

1 comment:

  1. I really like this poem! It's really sad that people feel this well.

    ReplyDelete